This Privacy and Cookies Policy applies to the websites, apps, and online features ("Content") that link to this Privacy and Cookies Policy ("Policy"). In this Policy, we use "SPE," or "we," "us," and "our" to collectively refer to the relevant Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc entity that, together with Sony Pictures, is responsible for a particular site or app. You can also learn more about cookies and similar technology which we use in this Policy by reviewing the terms below.
- We use personal information to allow you to use the features in the Content, to process your registration, and to provide you with requested Content related to our movies and other offerings. Click here to learn more.
- If you give us permission, we will send you news and promotional material about SPE. You can change your mind at any time and ask us not to process your personal information for direct marketing purposes. Click here to learn more about your rights and how you can exercise them.
- We provide interactive features that engage with social media sites, such as Facebook and Twitter. If you use these features, these sites will send us personal information about you Click here to learn more.
- Most of our Content is not designed for children. We may ask for your age before you can sign up to receive newsletters or to use our Content. Click here to learn more.
- When you make a purchase from one of our sites or apps, we will use your personal information to fulfil your order. We will share your personal information with our third-party partners to process your payment and perform some of the other fulfilment on our behalf. Click here to learn more.
- We disclose your personal information publicly when you post user-generated content via our sites or apps. We disclose personal information when you agree that we can share data with our business partners or other Sony Group companies. We also share data with third parties we engage to process data on our behalf or when such sharing is required or permitted by law, or in certain other situations. Click here to learn more.
- We transfer your personal information to the United States or other jurisdictions in which we or our service providers are located Click here to learn more.
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Information SPE and its service providers may collect may include personal information such as your first and last name, e-mail address, phone number, address, payment card information, interests and preferences, and interactions with the Content as well as information collected automatically when you access or use the Content such as IP address, device identifier, digital identifiers such as cookie IDs, browser type, operating system, and data regarding network connected hardware (e.g., computer or mobile device). We use this usage information to help us understand user activity and to monitor and improve the Content. We may also collect data through cookies and similar tracking technologies as described below.
If you communicate with us by telephone, we may record customer service calls with you for quality assurance and training purposes.
If you use our streaming service, we also collect information about the shows you watch, follow or add to your queue, as well as your search queries and we use and share this information as permitted by applicable law.
We also receive personal information from third parties as described below.
2. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use personal information collected via our Content:
- a. To process your registration on a site or app, or entry into a competition, prize draw or contest
- b. To send you information about changes to our terms or policies and other transactional messages
- c. To process your payment and fulfil your purchased order or subscription service
- c. To process your payment and fulfil your purchased order or subscription service
- d. To create and administer your online account or subscriptions
- e. To provide you with access to Content and features in the sites and apps
- f. To respond to your questions or inquiries, or send you information you have requested
- g. To ensure the security of our sites and apps, by trying to prevent unauthorized or malicious activities
- i. To tailor Content, advertisements and offers for you
- j. If you use our streaming services, to provide you with personalized content based on your viewing behaviour and interests, and to analyze and better understand our audience, improve our service and recommendation algorithms
- k. Where you ask us to send marketing information to you via a medium where we need your consent (for example, email or SMS text marketing), in which case we will tailor our communications so that they are more relevant to you based on your interactions with SPE entities
- l. To place cookies and to use similar technologies (as described further below), including to determine your location and manage digital content rights (e.g. territory restrictions)
- m. On other occasions where we ask you for consent, for a purpose which we explain at that time.
- n. Where we need parental consent to provide online services to children as required by law.
We retain personal data for so long as we think is reasonably necessary for the purposes described above.
3. INFORMATION WE RECEIVE FROM THIRD PARTIES
Sometimes, we receive information about you from third parties. For example, if you login to a site or app using Facebook Connect you will be asked if you wish to share information from your Facebook account with us. If you participate in a game or other feature where your score is posted on a social media content, or if you use a "like" or a "share" button for a feature on our sites or apps, then the third party will share information with us.
If you participate in activities on non-SPE sites or apps - such as participating in a Facebook application - you may allow us to have access to personal information held by Facebook, or other site or app owners.
We will also receive personal information about you if individuals give us access to their profiles, or similar features, on non-SPE sites or apps, and you are one of their "connections".
Some of our Content has 'send to a friend' features. The ‘send to a friend’ feature is when users can ask us to send features to their friends. If a friend asks us to send you a feature via email or other communications, then we will process your contact details (i.e. email address) in order to send you communications on behalf of your friend. The contact details are only used to send you the feature and we do not retain the contact detail. If you want to use this feature, you should only provide your friend's contact details to us when you know they would like to hear from us. Your friend will know that you provided their contact details to us. Your contact information and message may be included in the communication.
If we provide online services to a child where we need parental consent for this, we may ask for a parent's email address, in order to obtain the consent.
4. COOKIES AND SIMILAR TRACKING TECHNOLOGY
Cookies, web beacons (also known as "tracking pixels"), location-identifying technologies, and other tracking technologies may be used by SPE and third parties including other Sony group companies to collect information about interactions with the Content or e-mails, including information about your browsing and purchasing behavior.
These cookies and similar tracking technologies allow us to recognize you when you visit a site, or app, or open an email – they do lots of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improving your experience.
We use tracking technologies for three purposes:
- A. To provide you with the service you have requested: for example, keeping you logged in during your visit and ensuring security of the Content.
- B. To show advertisements that are more relevant to your interests: for example, with your consent, we and third parties such as ad networks and other advertising companies use tracking technologies (including cookies and pixel tags) on our Content and other websites and apps to collect information about your activity across your different devices, including Content you have visited or that has interested you and advertising you have interacted with and then use this to make predictions about your preferences and help us and third parties serve more relevant ads to you, including when you are on another site or app. To manage your preferences or opt-out of this type of interest-based advertising, please see “How to Manage Tracking Technologies” below. Tracking technologies also help limit the number of times that you see an ad across your devices, measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns and help us and others track whether ads have been properly displayed so we can pay for this. We also allow other organizations to use tracking technologies for these advertising purposes too.
- C. We may also work with third-party platforms and websites (such as social networking platforms) to serve targeted advertisements on such third-party services and platforms to you or others, and we may convert your email address, telephone number, or other information into a unique value and provide it to these third-party platforms for matching purposes. You may opt-out of the use of your information for such purposes by unsubscribing from our marketing email communications as described under “Controlling Marketing Communications” below.
- D. To analyze and improve your browsing experience: to analyze which Content is most popular and gets viewed the most and which gets viewed the least, and to provide us with general information about users of the Content (such as age, gender and interest areas). We also check for bugs and glitches in the Content and remember the choices you have made, such as your language or region, to enhance and personalize your experience. We use analytics services provided by Adobe and Google to help us do this. If you don’t want us to use information about your visits in this way, click here for Adobe and here for Google, to opt-out of their services.
How to manage tracking technologies
If you are using our Content via a browser you can change your cookie preferences and withdraw your consent at any time using the Cookie Consent Tool.
- the Help menu on the menu bar of most browsers tells you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to delete old cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie and how to disable cookies altogether. However, if you decide not to accept cookies from the Content, you may not be able to take advantage of all of the Content features.
- you can opt-out of analytics as described above.
For more information about interest-based advertising and to understand your options, including how you can opt-out of receiving behavioural ads from third-party advertising companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada website at http://youradchoices.ca/choices.
Please note that even if you opt-out of interest-based advertising by a third party, these tracking technologies may still collect data for other purposes including analytics and you will still see ads from us, but the ads will not be targeted based on behavioural information about you and may therefore be less relevant to you and your interests.
To successfully opt out, you must have cookies enabled in your web browser (see your browser’s instructions for information on cookies and how to enable them). Your opt-out only applies to the web browser you use so you must opt-out of each web browser on each computer you use. Once you opt out, if you delete your browser’s saved cookies, you will need to opt-out again.
We use Flash cookies to provide some Content such as video clips or animation. Flash cookies are managed through the Flash Player Settings Manager, which is a different interface than the one provided by your web browser. This Settings Manager lets you manage global privacy settings, storage settings, security settings, and automatic notification settings. Beginning with Flash Player 10.3, the Flash Player Settings Manager can be accessed locally on your computer: in the Control Panel on Windows and in System Preferences on Mac. Users of other operating systems and earlier versions of the Flash Player should manage their global privacy settings using the Flash Player Settings Manager are provided online from Adobe by clicking here.
We may use GPS (global positioning systems) software, geo-filtering and other location-aware technologies to locate (sometimes precisely, in compliance with applicable law) you for purposes such as verifying your location and delivering or restricting content (e.g. territory restrictions) and advertising based on your location. You can turn off geo-location tracking through the location settings on your device.
PlayStation Devices, Apple iOS and Android Devices
By accessing certain applications from these devices, you consent to cookies being stored to your device for the following purposes: keeping you logged in, managing parental control PINs, analytics and advertising. Other than advertising cookies, these cookies are essential to the operation of the application. It is not currently possible to opt out or remove these essential cookies from the devices without deleting the application. To learn more about interest-based advertising in mobile apps and to opt out of this type of advertising by third-party advertising companies that participate in the DAAC’s AppChoices tool, please download the version of AppChoices for your device at https://youradchoices.ca/appchoices/.
5. HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
If we ask you for consent to share your personal information with third parties for their own marketing purposes, and if you give consent, we will share personal information with these third parties. We do not share your personal information with third parties for their own marketing unless you agree to this.
If you register for a promotion, such as a competition, prize draw or contest, which is administered by a third party, your personal information will be shared with the organizer for them to administer the promotion. This may also mean that your personal information will be included on a winners list.
If you submit user-generated content to a site or app this will be disclosed publicly.
We share data with third parties (including other SPE entities) who perform functions on our behalf for the purposes listed in Section 1 above, such as hosting or operating our site and apps, sending e-mails, and carrying out data analysis and advertising services. Where you make a purchase on one of our sites or apps, we will share your personal information with third parties to process your card payment and deliver your order.
We share your personal data with other SPE entities, which are involved when we process data for the purposes listed at section 1 above. Where you give permission we will also share your personal information with other Sony Group companies for them to use for direct marketing purposes.
SPE or any of its assets, including the Content, may be sold, or other transactions may occur in which your personal information may be considered one of the business assets of the transaction. In this case, your personal information may be transferred, either as part of the transaction or during any due diligence process.
We and our service providers may share information with government and law enforcement authorities and with other parties involved in, or contemplating, legal proceedings to comply with a legal obligation, when we believe in good faith that the law requires it, where this is necessary for us or for third parties to protect our or their rights, property, safety, or security or as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law (which may include lawful access by foreign courts, law enforcement or other government authorities in the jurisdictions in which we or our service providers operate).
Our sites and apps are hosted and operated by us or our service providers in the United States and other countries. Your personal data will be transferred to and processed in the United States and to other countries which may be outside the country in which you live, where the privacy laws may not provide an equivalent level of protection to those in your home country. For international transfers of your data to Sony Pictures Entertainment entities, Sony group companies or to our service providers, we have put into place appropriate safeguards to protect your data, such as Standard Contract Clauses which have been approved by the European Commission or the regulatory agency in the country you live in. If you would like a copy of the standard contractual clauses or have other queries, please contact us.
7. ACCESSING AND UPDATING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION,
Subject to limited exceptions under applicable law, you have the right to access your personal information in our records and, if necessary, have it amended. You may also ask us to provide some types of personal information to you, or another organization nominated by you, in a structured and machine-readable format. You may request updating of inaccuracies in your personal information in our custody or control by contacting us at the contact information set out below. We may request certain personal information for the purpose of verifying the identity of the individual seeking access to his or her personal information records.
8. CONTROLLING MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS
You can also ask us not to send marketing communications and not to use your personal information when we carry out profiling for direct marketing purposes. You can opt out of receiving email newsletters and other marketing communications by following the opt-out instructions provided to you in those emails. If you sign up to receive SMS or MMS messages, you can unsubscribe from those messages received by replying "STOP." Transactional account messages will be unaffected if you opt-out from marketing communications.
9. PRIVACY QUESTIONS
10. CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
We reserve the right to change the terms of this Privacy and Cookies Policy at any time, by prominently posting notice of the amendment on the site or app. To the extent permitted by law, these changes will apply from the time they are posted.
Effective Date: This Privacy and Cookies Policy is effective as of 21 December, 2020.